Forgiving someone or even yourself can be very difficult.
Some people will often say I forgive you but I will never forget what you have done; while some others will say “Forgive and forget”.
Forgive and forget can be very difficult because whenever you are faced with similar situation you will certainly remember that you have been in that situation before. Things like Betrayal, Breach of trust, emotional hurts, etc will begin to play up.
The peace you feel after forgiving yourself or someone is priceless, do not trade it for pain and aches
It is pertinent that you understand the need for forgiveness and to ensure that you are also forgiven by the people you wronged.
Forgiving what we cannot forgive creates a new way to remember. We change the memory of our past into a hope for our future.” –Lewis Smedes
Reasons and benefits forgiveness are enormous.
1. Because the Law of Karma will favor you, when you forgive a person of his or her wrong, Karma authomatically favors you when you also wrong people, but holding back means that you have taken judgement in your own hands and there will be no need for God or Karma to fight for you.
2. For your own peace of mind, whenever you hold on to a pain caused by anyone (including yourself) and refusing to forgive, it always leads to some level of distress, heaviness and distractions, whenever you see that person you feel this heavy wait,your heart beat changes,anger creeps in, etc. Why carry all of these weight, while the person doesn’t even feel a bit of the pain you feel, forgive the person and stay peaceful.
3. It is funny because people think that holding on to anger is what keeps our honor and dignity intact, when in reality, forgiveness is what helps us feel more honored and dignified in life. When you are able to forgive someone, you can look in the mirror and feel good about yourself. You see a powerful human is one who can look past faults and other people’s ugliness, that someone who can stay in control of life and how he/she acts on a day to day basis. That gives you a real sense of pride and confidence.
4. Forgiveness allows you to move on. When you are unable to let go, you definitely cannot move on. But whenever you forgive yourself or someone else,that means you have given the person or yourself a second chance and because you have given yourself another chance there are high Possibilities that what you have done wrong or the mistake you made will be corrected or done properly this second time.
5. happiness is sure,when you have all of this done by forgiving yourself and people who have betrayed and hurt you , happiness becomes yours automatically, and when you are happy you can fix things right, make right decision and even your friends, loved ones and colleagues will be happy too as happiness is infectious.